Chana Dal Payasam Recipe
Chana Dal Payasam Recipe:
1/2 cup Split Bengal Gram (Chana Dal)
1 cup grated Coconut (Khopra/Narial)
4 tblsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
1 cup Jaggery
5 crushed Cardamoms
2 tblsp chopped Coconut (Khopra/Narial)
5 Cashewnut (Kaju)
1. Wash and soak the gram.
2. Melt a part of the ghee in a pan, add the coconut pieces and fry till golden brown over a medium flame drain, remove and keep aside.
3. In the same ghee add the cashew nuts and over a low flame fry till golden brown and keep aside.
4. Extract coconut milk by soaking the grated coconut in about half a cup of hot water for 10 minutesand then pass the mixture through a strainer.
5. Boil the gram in a sauteuse with just sufficient water to cook the gram.
6. When the gram is cooked add the jaggery and the coconut milk.
7. Cook till the mixture is thick stirring once in a while so that it does not get burnt. (make sure the mixture does not become very thick, it should be of pouring consistency).
8. Add the remaining ghee and the cardamoms. mix thoroughly.
9. Serve garnished with the fried coconut pieces and the cashew nuts.